Sunday, March 1, 2009

It Really Isn't You!

Are you getting discouraged about not being called back after interviews? Don't. As long as you are being professional and dressing nicely for the interview, it's not you, it's the job or the company's fault!

Last week I interviewing applicants for an inside sales position. We're looking for the specific ability to turn a query into a sale. Not very many people have this skill naturally and few can learn it.

Anyway, during the interviewing process, a really nice applicant (we'll call him Bob) came in. The guy is smart, appears dedicated and may be able to do the job basics, but doesn't have the sales experience. Unfortunately someone else came in with the qualifications we wanted and I'm very excited about the 2nd guy starting on Monday.

There's nothing wrong with Bob and I'll call him Monday and let him know that I'll keep his application in a folder in case we need someone with his abilities. Or, if I hear from a colleague that they need someone with his skills, I'll forward his information. Bob exemplifies the difficult part of my job -- finding someone you like but you don't have a place for them in your organization.

The moral to this story is that if you don't get a job after an interview, don't take it hard. The interviewer's job is to match the applicant with the job. In this case, Bob didn't meet all the qualifications, but he is still a great guy.

By the way, for more information on how to interview, check out my e-how article: http://www.ehow.com/how_4782875_prepare-job-interview.html

No comments: