Sunday, March 8, 2009

Job Applicants Who Won't Even Get an Interview

My latest article for eHow is on "How to Apply for a Job" http://www.ehow.com/how_4835590_apply-job.html . While this may seem like a simple task and there should be no need to discuss it, you would be amazed at what I see. People come into the office to fill out applications wearing bright orange sweats and with greasy hair.

Others are rude to the receptionist or call me to see if they can fax their resume rather than come in. Nothing screams lazy like a request like that, especially since our offices are available 24/7.

Another fun applicant is the one that refuses to fill out the application until I meet with them. Yeah, I'll meet with you long enough to let you know not to waste my time or yours. If you're this particular during the application process, I definitely don't want you as a co-worker.

Even more fun is the applicant who calls each morning to see if I reviewed his resume yet. After the third time, it's in the shredder.

And I'm sorry, but the person who comes in wreaking of body odor, pot or alcohol definitely is not getting an interview!

Blood shot eyes and dilated pupils without a medical excuse aren't in the running either.

Yeah, we've seen it all and laughed. So the article is on eHow. Enjoy and good luck with the job hunting!

By the way, for some jobs, I do look past tattoos & piercings, but for some positions I can't. So before you tattoo or pierce, be careful where you put it. If you can't cover it, you're barring yourself from a good portion of the jobs available.

No comments: